starter click

To: "Ted Schumacher" <tedtsimx@q1.net>, "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>, "ebk" <ebk@buffnet.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <AVALON2455@aol.com>, "Terry Quinn" <tmquinn@attbi.com>
Subject: starter click
From: "Rave Racer" <Ravewar@rogers.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 15:55:56 -0400 fep04-mail.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com from [24.156.27.228] using ID <ravewar@rogers.com> at Sat, 20 Apr 2002 15:45:58 -0400
    I should have done this earlier.  I would like to thank all those who gave
advice on the starter issues I was having about two weeks ago.  I've
determined that the starter is the problem and not the switch.  That being
said, how difficult is it to do a starter rebuild.  I'm kind of thinking of
getting a second starter and trying one myself, and having a spare done
professionally.

    I also have managed to pry the clutch from the fly wheel and would like to
know how to tell if it's any good.  There's lots of pad left, but it sat for
15 years and has an orange tint to it.  If the top layer burns off, will the
clutch function?  Also is there anything else I should consider looking at or
changing while the Tranny is out?

    Thanks again for the help.  I don't know what I'd do without "THE" list.

       Rave Racer
'89 Jetta 1.8L 16V GTX
 http://www.vwot.org/members/Pete.html
'87 Audi 4000 Quattro Sedan
 http://www.audifans.com/registry/view.php?action=viewCar&carid=110
'72 Triumph GT6
 http://motorcities.com/contents/01I3H011116682.html
'83 Toyota Tercel (yoda)     Possible future Sandrail donor...  Maybe