Stock TR6 Handling

To: Bill Elliott <wcelliot@concentric.net>
Subject: Stock TR6 Handling
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 08:45:14 -0400
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Bill Elliott
>So I took the 6 out for a run. Man did I see what she meant. It was
horrible. It pushed badly and then would snap to oversteer almost
without warning. It was almost like ice racing I had so little grip.
Now I was clearly the slow guy in the group.  She felt much better that
it wasn't just her.

I experimented with tire pressures to no avail.

This was my first time on the track with a TR6.  I have run MG's,
Quattros, and front drivers before as well as Corvairs.   Now I know
that the TR6 should handle as well as if not better than my Corvair...
so I'm not trying to fix blame on the car itself... but rather my
preparation of it.

Are the P4000's that bad in the cold/wet?.... or should I be looking to
other things?  The alignment is to stock specs.
<

Bill,

My limited experience with my TR6 on an autocross crouse is that it would
plow under power and oversteer on decel.  Perhaps the rear sway bar
exacerbates the oversteer but I think the swapping is due to soft springs
in the rear.  The semi trailing arms tend to change camber as the wheels
move up and down which changes the amount of bite they get on the road.
Rear end squat under power generates significant negative camber and nose
dive under decelleration changes that camber to near positive (if not
actuall positive) camber.

I plan on experimenting with stiffer springs which should limit the rear
end bobbing and resulting camber changes.  You might give it a try and
report back.

Cheers

Dave

P.S. Ted S says he has some stiffer springs that do nto change the ride
height.

P.P.S. I know nothing about P4000's