TR6 Fuse box

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Fuse box
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 06:22:47 -0700 (PDT)
Mark Hooper wrote that he was having problems with the fuse box on his TR6 and
was looking for suggestions for another fuse box.  Although another fuse box
that really works is appealing I would like to offer a suggestion for some less
expensive modifications to the old one which have worked for me.  I expressed
similar problems to a guy who restores Triumphs and Healys (thanks Fred
Brandner) who suggested the following:  Remove and mark the wires on your old
fuse box.  Remove the box from the car and sand blast the metal connections to
make sure they are clean and have no corrosion.  Solder the connections on each
side of the fuse box where the fuse clips are riveted to the bar to which the
wires are attached.  Make sure that the solder joints are solid and that the
joint where the rivet is attached will not move.  Clean and squeeze together
the clips that hold the fuse.  Place a little dialectric grease on the areas
where the fuse and the wires connect to forestall corrosion and reinstall the
box.  I did this about a year and a half ago after having an intermittent
electrical fault (downtown Atlanta on I 75 during the rain with no wipers) and
have had no problems since then.  I was originally going to get a new fuse box
but was dissuaded from doing so by the observation that the new ones were made
exactly the same way that the old ones were made and that by removing the
corrosion on the old one with sand blasting you ended up with the same thing.
It worked for be but with Lucas electric, as they say on TV, "your results may
vary".

Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6