getting to the bottom of engine running hot

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: getting to the bottom of engine running hot
From: "Larry Stein" <larry@ehc.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:07:56 -0600
first, i would like to thank all you guys again for all the terrific
info you have been giving me.  for those that have not been watching the
saga, i have been restoring (with a rebuilt engine too) a 72 gt6.  there
have been a number of issues to work out and this list / people has been
more than fantastic.  what did people do before the internet ???
second, i think i may actually be down to my last issue.  the car is
actually running pretty good.  i'm almost shocked.  here is my latest
challenge:  the engine water temp just keeps climbing.  by recoring the
radiator, checking the cowl in front of the radiator, replacing the
water pump and checking the thermostat full open when hot, checking
timing again (12btdc at idle, 26 at 3000 rpm ), setting mixture full
rich, midrange.   At this point i have found out that my cam (mild
exotic) valves should be set at .014, .016 instead of the .010 factory
that i did set them at.  I will do a compression test (again) to check
for a blown head gasket, but last i checked it was fine.  the pistons
are the high dome from england (factory).  can anyone think of anything
else to check ?  what about a cowl for the fan on the back side (engine
side) of the radiator.  someone thought that may be a good idea ?
thanks, larry lstein6@earthlink.net