RE: Pertronix reliability

To: "'Triumph List '" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Pertronix reliability
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 22:14:49 -0400
It sounds like the P-ix has reliability "questions". Spinning magnets. I can
understand the issues.

I have been using a Crane Cams XR700 since I installed it in the engine in
1995 during the rebuild. Sat it the cold, in the warm, in the wet and dry.
Works beautifully. An optical slot cutoff is far less prone to temperature
and vibration timing issues than a magnet moving through a shallow arc in a
hall-effect switch.

If you are not horrified by the gold box bolted to the wheel arch, then the
Crane unit is a good way to go. Tremendously eased starting and gave extra
pep. Haven't had to adjust the timing or play with the dizzy in years.

Mark Hooper
72 TR6