Re: missing gearshift parts

To: Cromracker2@aol.com
Subject: Re: missing gearshift parts
From: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb@townisp.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 21:17:07 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net, WhiteCfw@aol.com
James,
        I would definitely get a new "anti-vibration plunger" and new spring,
install
and adjust as described in the Haynes book.
        Last fall I had the spring and plunger pop out of place on my car.
Maybe
the adjustment was too loose, or the parts too worn.  I bent the spring badly
in my
efforts to find a forward gear.  Managed to reverse it into a friend's
driveway.  We
got it apart, scrounged around his garage, found a little spring that was
pretty close,
and reassembled.  It got me home.  Now I carry a spare spring, and the cute
little
wrenches you need for the adjustment, too.
        Hint: a dollop of chassis grease will hold the spring and plunger in
place on
the shifter as you install.
        Good luck and enjoy the new car!
                Rick
                1973 TR6 CF2570U
**************

>    Salutations to all of the Triumph listers! Having gotten the new toy
>home, I have embarked on a mission to change all the fluids so I can start
>with a fresh slate, so to speak. I managed to get the tunnel and everything
>else removed(what an ordeal) so I could change the transmission fluid and
>have arrived at my first head scratcher. When I remoived the shifter
>mechanism, I discovered that the plunger and spring(items # 8 & # 9,
>Bentley's page 277) are missing. Can anyone tell me what function these items
>serve? The shifter worked; although it was not as smooth as I would have
>liked. Are these parts optional? Your experience here would be appreciated.
>Thanks!
                                                    James McArthur
                                                    '74 TR6   CF17672U