transmission troubles -- absolutely no LBC

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: transmission troubles -- absolutely no LBC
From: Todd Richmond <twr@fc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 13:28:46 -0600
Howdy Listers,

My TR3A restoration is temporarily on hold for the moment, but I've got a
problem with my Jeep Cherokee that I thought the collective wisdom of this list
might be able to help me out with.

Basically, the Cherokee doesn't like to shift out of first gear sometimes,
regardless of the engine speed.  Interestingly enough, the problem usually
doesn't seem to happen unless I stop and the car is pointing downhill.  If I
come to a level or uphill stop, there is almost never a problem.  But if I come
to a stop facing downhill, the transmission doesn't like to shift out of first
gear when I pull out.  In order to get the tranny to shift, I have to come to
an almost complete stop, and start out again.  Usually this fixes the problem.

I have checked the fluif levels and they seem to be fine.  I have the Haynes
manual and have read about adjusting the shifting bands, but I haven't done
anything else yet because I'm curious why stopping on a downhill would initiate
the problem.  Any ideas/suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated
before I get greasy!

TIA,

Todd Richmond
1959 TR3A (with new body shell coming soon!)
1988 Jeep Cherokee (thinking of selling the Haynes manual, and including a free
Jeep!)