RE: Valve spring compressor recommendation wanted

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Valve spring compressor recommendation wanted
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 18:27:48 -0700
> Make sure you place a socket or pipe on the valve retainer and
> give it a hit
> with a hammer before using the spring compressor.  Over time the tapered
> valve locks become wedged on the retainers causing them to stick.

FWIW, I found the Sears tool unacceptable even when installing springs
(although I was installing high performance springs from BFE).  However, I
used to own the KD tools compressor I mentioned, and it would break loose
all but the most severely stuck retainers.  It also never flopped around and
slipped off the way the Sears one did, and didn't have that hokey "third
hand" release.

If the retainers are really stuck, you may need to put something under the
valve head when rapping the retainer.  Also, be careful with the hammer
blow, a glancing blow may bend the valve stem.

Randall