Re: Female LBC owners, was: RE: Hello from a new list member!

To: Christine Edwards <cedwards@cox.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Female LBC owners, was: RE: Hello from a new list member!
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 13:00:57 -0400
Christine Edwards wrote:

> My knee-jerk response was to throw my hands up into the air,
> and in a high pitched sarcastic squealy voice say "Oh no, I'm
> a GIRL, I don't know how to drive a stick, can you teach me?"
> but I managed to keep my mouth shut.

As a male, who learned how to drive a manual from two women, I can assure
the list that woman can absolutely drive stick.  My 16 year old neighbor (I
was 16 at the time too) and I decided to sneak my TR6 out after school one
day in 1998, and she had to drive at first... then when we got to our
destination, she told me I had to drive it home!  Since my parents are
divorced, my mother taught me for the most part.

> I've also noticed that auto parts stores are weird about
> women...they either fall all over themselves to help me in a
> completely patronizing way, or they ignore me completely, like
> I must have wandered in by mistake on my way to shop for
> drapes.

This isn't just an issue with women in customarily male environments, I bet
every male on this list has had similar experiences walking into Victoria's
Secret or a Hair Salon.  I know I have, it is like invading a Girl's Only
Club.  I had some ackward experiences in cosmetics stores also.

As for other women British car owners, there is Valerie Stabenow on the
6-Pack list (may be on this list as well) and she has quite a few British
cars.  Denise Thorpe on the MG list has a multitude of MGs, and a few motors
and other parts that used to belong to me.  And locally, there is a 20s
something brunette who drives an early 70s blue Spitfire.

For the most part, this list is very tolerant.  Unless of course you're me,
and then Randall Young will pick on you all the time ;-)

Kai