Differential is Toast

To: "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Differential is Toast
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 20:35:13 -0400
Well I opened the case of my differential today. Now I know what all the
noise was about! There is a nicely striped pattern ground into the back of
the differential carrier. It looks like it was rubbing against the end of
the pinion gear because that's worn also. I'm guessing the endplay in the
pinion is even greater than the 1/16" I see when I move it by hand. I'll
further speculate that the pinion banging against the differential carrier
was ringing the driveshaft like a bell. This would explain the jingling
sound I have only been able to duplicate on the disassembled parts by
knocking on the shaft.

Got a good deal on a used differential from a local Triumph used parts
dealer called Trispare. I'll be cleaning it up, painting, and installing it
over the next couple of weeks. Finished up the u-joints on the prop-shaft
today.

- Hugh Fader