Scotland TR's?

To: "INTERNET:Chip19474@aol.com" <Chip19474@aol.com>
Subject: Scotland TR's?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:53:15 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:Chip19474@aol.com
>I just completed a 10 day vacation in Scotland and sadly only saw 2
Triumphs
- 2 Spit's.

It just so happened that the weather was great while we were there - quite
change from previous weather as we were told by the locals we talked to -
only one day with some drizzle in the highlands.

I expected to see a bunch more Triumphs.  Sorry to say but the MG sitings
were numerous - mostly MGB/GTs as were sitings of many, many Mini's.

Our coach driver and I hit it off within a short time (much to the anguish
of
my wife).....I brought a few photos of my Spit and the TR6 restoration
along
just in case I might meet an enthusiast.  It seems that our driver had
owned
several Mini's, a '69 TR6 then acquired an MGC/GT in which he replaced the
six with a Rover V8.....ha, ha, ha....I had a new best friend for 10 days:)

Yes, the haggis is definitely an acquired taste and women are definitely
attracted to men in kilts!  FYI - the cheapest full dress Scottish outfit
we
saw for sale was 699 pounds or roughly $1150.  Oh, we didn't see Nessie but

word has it that she was sited only day's before we got to Loch Ness - no
doubt swallowing an MG along the shoreline:)
<

Nessie was retiring for a few days recovering from a bout of indigestion.
MG's will do that to you.   ;-)

There are a few TR's up there.  I drove one a few years back.  A very nice
UK-spec unit with a triple Weber conversion.  My understanding is that it
is undergoing a bit of a rebuild.

$1150 for a full-blown set-up is not a bad price.  A decent kilt all by
itself runs anywhere from $325 to $450.  Throw in the Prince Charlie
jacket, the vest, kilt hose, an evening sporrin, flashes, shoes and shirt
and you're there.

A little tip about haggis: it tastes much better with a wee bit o' whiskey
on top.

Dave (I can't believe you wnet to Scotland and didn't ask me to carry your
luggage) Massey

By the by, anyone in the midwest interested in seeing men in kilts (or
who's wives would be interested in doing so) can combine the pleasure with
a British car show at the Second Annual St. Louis Scottish Games and
Cultural Festival on Oct 12.  You can show your car and see big burly guys
in kilts tossing telephone poles, young lasses dancing Highland style,
sheep dogs herding sheep, bag pipers piping, celting musicians, Scottish
merchandise and a whiskey tasting tent.  Contact me for more details.