Re: no more Shlep Boys! what A---H---s!

To: fogbro1@attbi.com
Subject: Re: no more Shlep Boys! what A---H---s!
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 08:06:49 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Good points all.  I use a local Allied Auto Parts store in Weymouth MA
for anything important.  The guy I use has been with them for at least 20
years, never gives me the wrong parts and is very knowledgeable and happy
to offer advice if asked.  Good guy and I would never think to berate him
for staying at a job he has done so well for so long.  I consider him to
be as important to me as say... my doctor who I know has 20 years service
behind him.  The discount joints do have their strengths though.  Few of
the local stores have the extensive displays of the discount stores.
There's plenty of business for both of them.

On a slightly different track...have you tried to find a decent hardware
store now...Home Depot and the like have driven them away and now we're
stuck with a less than exciting assortment of half rate fastening
hardware to choose from.  They started out pretty good but seem to now be
cutting costs at the HDs in my area.

In closing, remember that there are probably people on this list that
have been doing something for 20 years.   A very small percentage of
people are trully AHs, customer service 40 hours a week is tough...try it
sometime, nobody wants to be judged on their worst day.  Also, don't
discount women behind the service counter.  Some of my best encounters at
the discount joints have been with women.  Don't look for body appendages
and move to the next person behind the counter.  Look at their fingers
and always go to the PERSON with the dirty fingers :-)  A lot of them
come out of the service with certificates in diesel mechanics etc.

Good luck,
Jay Welch, Abington MA
Secretary, "Cape Cod British Car Club"
http://clubs.hemmings.com/capecodbritish/