RE: '59 austin Bug Eye (Frog Eye), need advice ASAP

To: <Gbouff1@aol.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: '59 austin Bug Eye (Frog Eye), need advice ASAP
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@ivwnet.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 11:10:46 -0500
Gary,
Parts are very easy to come by, Vicky Brit and Moss both carry them, just
like our Triumphs.  Just about everything is available, however, the quality
of the some of the repros are questionable.  However, again like we do with
our triumphs,    a lot of us keep a lot of spares and parts when we run
across them.  Likely if you need a part - someone on the list will have it.
More original parts, of course, are good. It would be nice to have the
sidescreens, cockpit aluminum surround pieces, badging, generator tach
drive, heater core shut-off valve, light switch, starter switch, (I'm sure
there are other difficult to obtain original parts, but this is all I can
think of off the top of my head)

There is a team dot net list - spridgets@autox.team.net  These guys are
great (though often off topic) and know just about everything you could ever
want to know.  It is probably one of the friendliest list in the team.net
world.  You could probably even find a lister to go with you this weekend if
you ask. There are people from all over, and someone is probably close to
you.

The shock/damper boxes are a PITA to repair, check those areas.  They have a
tendency to rust out and make the car fall to the ground.  Of course sills.
Remember the sprites don't have a frame per se.  The are most like unibodys.
So, sills are very important, as well as the stiffener beams that run in
front of the seats.

The original engine was a 948cc motor.  Many people use the uprated 1275cc
from the later cars.  The question is originality to power.  Those BMC A
series motors are pretty much bullet proof.  Original smoothcase
transmissions get often upgraded to the later ribcase ones.  Again, it is
simply a matter of preference.  The ribcase are better and offer a synchro'd
first.  I still use the smoothcase with the 948.

I have several books/manuals here, so if you want me to check
engine/commission numbers and let you know what you've got, just send me an
email.

Bill
Spits and Sprites
(in various states of (dis)repair)