TR3 Rocker Cover Gasket

To: "Triumph Internet Mail List." <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Rocker Cover Gasket
From: suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 22:39:11 -0500
Getting closer to starting the engine and can hardly wait. Put
oil in the engine and went to install Justin Wagner's silicon
gasket. Did all of the prep as called for by his instructions (my
wife was not happy since she baked 2 pies after I had cooked the
gasket, but all thought they came out better than ever this year).
Anyway, I could not get a good seal on the rear end even though
the gasket was sitting properly. Took this off and checked to
make sure the rocker cover was not bent, which it is not. Put on
the standard cork gasket, which gave a better seal, but still could
slightly move the gasket on the back end with the cover in place and
tightened down. To get a good seal that seemed to firmly hold the
gasket in the back end, I really had to tighten down the lock
nut, the rear one.

My question is, is this normal or is their something I may be
overlooking?  On my 6, if I over tighten the nut it will
obviously bend the aluminum cover, but with the steel cover on the
3, it can take the amount of torque I needed to get the seal. BTW,
I had the head checked before I rebuilt it and it was fine.

TIA

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6