RE: Oh what a night! (Long)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oh what a night! (Long)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 08:21:17 -0800
> Well,
>
> I finally have a real TR story to share.

Bummer !

>  Also the steering started getting sloppy.
> "I'd better get her home to find out what's going on."  I only
> have about 1 mile to go.

Lesson #1 : When the steering starts feeling 'different', DONT try to "make
it home".  Stop immediately and investigate.  I almost flipped a TR3A once,
as I pulled off the interstate to investigate a new vibration ...
fortunately for me only two of the lug nuts were completely off the studs
and the other two studs hadn't broken yet.

> It looks like there is some brake fluid leaking.

Pay careful attention to the hard brake line where it snakes over the
U-bolts and around the bump stops.  My guess is that your line was not
located quite right (many aren't), and got pinched during the accident.

> Also the leaf spring bracket
> u-bolts was ground down.  I wonder how hard that will be to remove and
> replace?

Mine were actually a lot easier than I thought they would be.  I used a
small pipe wrench to turn the mangled nuts off, then replaced the U-bolts
with used ones from another car, and new Nyloc nuts.  Since the axle runs
above the spring, with the car supported by the frame, the axle will
continue to sit on the spring.  I reused my old brake line, but if I was
doing it today, I would definitely replace it.  Don't forget the straps that
hold it in place above the spring !

> I go to gingerly pull her out the garage and down the
> driveway so
> that I call pull her in properly for a good night's sleep.  NO BRAKES!

Lesson #2 : Be sure your handbrake works !  My next TR3A wound up at the
crusher's, just because I hadn't bothered to replace the handbrake cable
when it broke ...

> Thanks for giving me shoulders to cry on, and I will probably
> elicit tech help as I dive into the new problems.

We're here for ya !

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (currently sidelined for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver