Stromberg Air Cleaners Upside down

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stromberg Air Cleaners Upside down
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 08:17:55 -0800 (PST)
Heres one for you guys to figure out:

I went down to Richmond last weekend to play with a friends newly acquired
TR4.

After doing a couple minor repairs and maintenance,  I pulled off the air
cleaner assembly.
(it has the vent hoses from the valve cover . . . stuff on it)

I found that the air cleaners were installed upside down.
The little gaskets on the back of the air cleaners were almost completely
blocking the two vent holes on the carb faces.
Just a tiny tiny sliver of the hole wasnt covered, and you could see where it
had been exhaling some gook during use.
Made a nice little splatter mark on the gasket where the hole wasnt covered.

I of course put them back on right side up and went on about other tasks.

When we got around to driving it . . . the damnedest thing would happen.

If you let off the gas at moderate RPM (say 2000 RPM and foot OFF the gas)
The RPMs would drop down real low . . maybe 300RPM, and then the car would
stall.
If you gradually eased the throttle back down, or if you gave it a couple of
blips when it was stalling . .either way it would come back to a decent idle
around 800 rpm or so.

If you increased the idle to around 1100 and did the same test . . .
As the revs dropped, they would dip down to 500 or so . .and the car would
almost stall, but would eventually recover to idle at 1100.

The best way I could describe it is that the engine had some momentum to its
RPM.
Get the RPMs dropping in a hurry and theyd overshoot the idle point.
Bring them down gradually and they wouldnt overshoot it much at all.

We tinkered with it quite a bit.
Did a lot of head scratching trying to understand what was happening.

At the end of the weekend when it was time for me to go back to Leesburg, we
ended up putting the air cleaners back on upside down and the car ran
acceptably well.

Anyone want to take a stab at whats going on with this car?

(As I said, we did a fair amount of fiddling with the car, but I figure this
e-mail is already long enough as it is without my trying to explain what all we
did to it.)

Thanks in advance.
Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 everyday