RE: Lifts

To: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>, TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lifts
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:07:26 -0500
>===== Original Message From Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com> =====

>We're moving to a smaller house which will also mean a much smaller
>garage.  Need the kind you can park under (not the scissors style).
>Would appreciate any experience/advice re this or other manufacturers.

Geo,

I have a used Stinger 4 post lift that works real well for working and
parking.  The one I bought... from an LBC lover's estate... is a special
smaller 4000 lb model that is little shorter and little norrower that the big
monsters that a garage would need. He had a bunch of MG TDs and Bs.  The full
size ones make it difficult to park another car next to the lift in a normal
size... 24 x 22... garage.

You need a lot of ceiling height or an open framed roof plan for the garage.
My TR4 needs 10' of clearance to clear the top of the top and winscreen frame
with the lift all the way... so you can stand up straight under the car..  By
a stroke of luck the lay of the land for my house made the attched garage a 1
1/2 story thing with very high ceilings.  A strong level cement floor is
almost mandatory as well.

The 4-post works fine vs the 2-post.  When you want to jack a wheel or an end
of the car... you place a strong cross beam of steal or wood across the ramps
and jack it up using the ramps and cross brace as a support.   The lift ramps
are made very strong and support lifting a a lot of weight.  I do a lot of due
dilegence to make sure I a spread the loads out as much as possible.

Working on your TR with a lift at my age (59) is like night and day vs. laying
on cold floors.

Brian