RE:

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 18:57:16 -0800
> Welcome to the wonderfull world of TR2 Longdoors!  You have quite a find
> there.  You should be able to come up with an compatible
> engine/tranny.  I
> am not sure about the tranny, but I know that my current engine
> is out of a TR3.

The 'crash box' (non-synchro 1st gear) gearboxes were all effectively
identical and used by all TR2-3A (some late 3B had the synchro 1st, which is
also an easy and popular swap).  Some small differences around the overdrive
(if so equipped), but they all interchange as a unit.

The clutch slave is different, ISTR there's some problem plumbing a later
slave up to the earlier Lockheed system, but it's nothing insurmountable.

Note that the TR4-4A engine/transmission is also an easy swap; you'll need
the engine front plate from a TR2-3 though.

One thing to watch for as you're mixing and matching, the starter changed
sometime in 1959 (TS50000).  The starter has to match the flywheel on the
engine, and late starters cannot be used with early transmissions (unless
you cut a hole in the bellhousing as some have done).  Early starters are
getting somewhat scarce, but there is an aftermarket replacement 'geared'
starter that everyone seems to like.  Be sure to get the one that matches
your flywheel.

Randall