RE: question about lifts

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: question about lifts
From: aribert <aribert@c3net.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 22:28:43 -0500
Some things to consider:  Do you have the ceiling height in your new
garage?  Can you open the garage door if a car is on the lift?  Do you
have adequate garage width?

I would highly recommend the sliding jack tray, mentioned as an
accessory in the URL you gave, if you do any work on your cars at all.

I am in the process of converting my 20x20 ft, 2 car garage into a 3 car
garage (I am land locked - no room to expand but up).  I went to one of
the Penske auctions this past summer and bought a very used, 9000 lb.
Rotary 2-post lift.  My total out the pocket was under just $1000 by the
time I had it set up in my garage (16 anchors, 800 lbs of bagged high
strength concrete under one of the posts, new hyd hoses, 220v up from
the basement,...). My garage ceiling height is 9 ft - that is just
enough to fit my '61 Ford on the hoist with my Spit bodied GT6 parked
underneath between the drooping tires of the Ford.  To keep the hoist on
my side of the garage, I have it set up 24 in. narrower that it was set
up at K-Mart/Penske and with one hoist post all the way against the
outside wall.  It is tight fit to park a regular size vehicle between
the posts and be able to open the driver's door.   I am afraid that
eventually I am going to clip the R/S mirror off of one of my vehicles
backing out past the garage opening.

Now that the hoist is standing and powered up, my next task is to modify
my garage door into a "high lift" configuration so that the door in the
open position is just an inch or so below the ceiling.  To do this, I
will mount the garage door opener adjacent to the side of the door,
running parallel to the door.  I just have not figured out exactly how I
am going to fab a bracket that will reach over and pull the bottom panel
of the door up.  Also, I will be making a pocket 1 ft up into the
ceiling so that I can more clearance between vehicles and to be able to
stand under a vehicle and work.  All in all, I would have much rather
moved out into the country and had a big old barn to use as my workshop
and parts car storage facility.

BTW, while at the auction I saw an item called an "alignment creeper".
This was a fiberglass bucket seat set at a 45 deg angle on a frame on
casters - I took one of these off of the shelf and tried it out -
perfect ergonomics for working under a car that is not high enough to
stand under. Unfortunately they were selling these 4 pcs to a lot and
the lots ended up at about $200.  I have tried to find such a creeper on
E-bay with no success.  Eventually I think I will buy a "racing bucket
from Jegs or J C Whitney and fab my own frame w/ castors underneath.