RE: What if? Brakes

To: "'Mike Munson'" <fasttrs@mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: What if? Brakes
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:28:14 -0500
Cc: "Triumphs@autox. Net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Thanks Mike for the concise write-up.  But tell me more...

We've talked briefly about your rear disc conversion, but I'm having a
bit of trouble picturing what it looks like.  Also, how did you or how
does one go about figuring out what caliber of braking is necessary if
needed mounts are made or available?

For instance, you mentioned that your kit uses the Wilwood rear discs,
Wilwood makes a large number of calipers, so how did you decide what
would be appropriate?  Is there some measure of needed brakes per pound
of car?  I realize that the bigger/heavier the car is, the larger brakes
are needed.  But beyond that I can't speculate.

What do you know about the 4-pot calipers that are sold overseas for the
front brakes?  And you mentioned 3-pot calipers off a Jag, what is that?
I'm assuming that a 4-pot is actually 2 pistons per caliper, so two
calipers equals a 4-pot.  But if that's right, then what is a 3-pot?

And, it would be interesting to have a matching set of Wilwood brakes
for the front.

R. Ashford Little II
www.geocities.com/ralittle2