SU's for the Rest of the World (long)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU's for the Rest of the World (long)
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:49:04 EST
Sorry I had to bash the early TR4 "bergs" yesterday.  Probably not fair on my
part since I have no real experience with them on a TR and yes SU choke
linkages really suck. However I know my dislike for "bergs" in general is
related to all the dang pipes, valves, hoses and related emission junk that
came with the "bergs" on the later Triumphs sent to us, US Citizens, while
the rest of the world received TR's simply and neatly equipped with SU's. I
just want to whine about it.

Very early on I put the single "berg" that came on my 70 Spitfire MK 3 in a
box and equipped her properly with twin 1 1/4" SU's and velocity stacks.  The
difference in performance was remarkable.  The appearance and clean lines of
the twin bottles was outstanding.  My 76 Spitfire 1500 still has that single
"berg" sitting there with all the pipes, hoses, air pumps, etc., and
performance suffers so much that it is a drag to drive her. Hope is there
though since I was able to buy a set of 1 1/2" SU's from Ted Schmauher last
summer. May be a little more difficult to convert her to European Specs. but
certainly worth the effort.

Now I am real happy that the early TR's I have, TR3B and TR4, were originally
equipped with SU's.  No issues, they look and run great.  I also would never
think of converting my TR6 or TR250 to SU's but I absolutely would love to
have Fuel Injection like the Rest of the World got while we got stuck with
these crappie, detuned Federal whatever TR's!  I guess that's why we have
Webers.

That brings us to the Wedges. I am OK with the "bergs" on the TR8 since I
have no desire to worry about Electronic Fuel Injection any more than I have
to since my 81 TR7 has it.  By the way the EFI Seven is surprisingly peppy
and on a trip to Mid-Ohio last summer my buddy following me with the Eight
was struggling to keep the pace.  It lacks the acceleration speed of a TR8
but will cruise with the best of them. This brings me to the last one my 76
Victory Edition TR7.  Now this Twin Berg TR has more stuff going on, intake
manifold side, that I can deal with.  I am actually scared to mess with her
and I am very fortunate that she runs OK for now.  Recently while working on
cleaning her up I opened a Dealer brochure for reference and what do I find?
There is the answer, a European Spec. TR7 simply and cleanly equipped with
Twin SU's.  Dang, It just isn't Fair!  Anyone know where I can pick up on a
set?

Cheers,
Darrell