RE: TR6 electrical / hazard-directional question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 electrical / hazard-directional question
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:14:19 -0800
Larry, I would start by reading
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Electrical/TR6Sockets/TR6Sockets.ht

You'll have to cut and paste that link back together, or just go to
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org
and click on 'Technical', then 'Repairing TR6 Taillight sockets'.

FWIW I just bought new brake/tail sockets from TRF a few months ago, they
actually have separate grounding tabs that have to have wires added to them
to work properly.  I think this is a valuable upgrade, but IMO they should
include some mention of the requirement with the sockets.  (JPS sold me the
same sockets, so perhaps they are all that is available today.)  I don't
know if the same thing would apply to the turn sockets, but it's worth
checking if you've bought new recently.

Then I would get out the voltmeter, start at the rear lamps and work towards
the front, finding out where the (blinking) power goes away.

> The circuit is set up such that if the rears do not work, the
> blinkers should stay
> on and not flash.

If I understand you right here, you're saying you have a load-sensitive
flasher for the directional signals.  (It's the flasher that stops working
when a bulb is burnt out.)  If it still flashes with only one bulb working,
then it is either defective (most unlikely), or it is not a load-sensitive
flasher (likely).  Non-load-sensitive flashers are frequently sold as "heavy
duty" replacements.  Another possibility of course is that you have the
hazard flasher and the directional flashers reversed, as the hazard flasher
is normally not load-sensitive.

Randall