Rumbling-Spitfire MK3

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Rumbling-Spitfire MK3
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:06:13 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Fellow Listers,
I have a 70 Spitfire MK3 that I have extensively modified with GT6 stuff.  It
has rotoflex axles, a GT6 OD gearbox and 455 late Spitfire Diff. She runs
real nice and is a terror on the autocross course. The main problem that has
me stumped is that at speed, which isn't that fast with the 455, there is a
real bad vibration.  One would think that the driveshaft is the problem so I
switched to another last summer but the rumble did not improve. Both
driveshafts seem to be running out of true about an 1/8" if you jack it up
and watch them rotate.  Is it possible that both shafts are no good or am I
barking up the wrong tree?  I have another GT6 OD driveshaft, will it fit?
Someone told me that the sliding end of a GT6 driveshaft should be fitted to
the diff.  Is that true?  Are the u-joints supposed to lined up in any way?
The flanges on the diff side don't look like they are mating real well
either.  I can see a little gap going around.  Is it possible that they are
bent.  I am pretty good at fixing things that I know are broke but not so
good at fault diagnosis.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Darrell