Re: why wont she start?

To: JutH1685@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: why wont she start?
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 19:49:28 EST
In a message dated 1/25/2003 5:55:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JutH1685@aol.com writes:

> alright here is the situation, guys.  i went out today to stick the muffler
> on the gt6 and start her up to warm, its cold out here.  needless to say
> the
> muffler doesnt fit and she wont start.  turns over and crancks quickly, but
>
> no start.  a few coughs, lots of starting fluid, no starting!  took the
> pulgs
> out and cleaned them, but that didnt help.  any suggestions?

Were the plugs wet with fuel when you took them out to clean them? or were
they dry? The "coughs" might be a good sign of ignition (someone else already
suggested making sure you have spark). How did you "apply" the starting
fluid? Did you actually lift the carb pistons and then spray it? Don't feel
badly if you didn't; most of us SHOULD admit that we've "been there" --
right, folks? :-)

Meanwhile, my experience always used to be that Strombergs and SUs were more
than a bit prone to icing up, so I learned to run a bit of good old "Dry Gas"
in every tankful. (For some reason, I never had an icing problem with the
single downdraft Solex on a Herald.)

Good luck, and stay warm (if possible; it ain't possible here in upstate NY)!

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.