RE: TR3A Disk brake lining wear

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Disk brake lining wear
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 04:29:46 -0800
> I was checking my brakes the other day and noticed that the front
> disk brake
> linings are wearing uneven when comparing the inner and outer
> pads. On both
> sides the outer pad is worn significantly more than the inner,
> maybe 3:1, or
> more. I will replace both the sets regardless, but was wondering
> why and if
> this is normal.

Not normal, IMO.  Last time I changed mine, they were within 1/16" of each
other.

> Any thoughts appreciated. Any suggestions to correct the
> wear? No other performance issues with the brakes other than this
> observation.

I'd rebuild the calipers with new seals and new anti-squeal springs.  Make
sure the notches that the pads ride in are clean and reasonably flat.  Pay
particular attention to the side with the most wear, it's where the problem
is.

I'm not convinced they actually make a difference, but the factory used
shims at the caliper mounts to be sure the rotor was centered in the caliper
... you might want to make sure your shims are present as they tend to get
left out.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (currently sidelined for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver