RE: DIY Leak down tester

To: "Triumph List (Triumph List)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: DIY Leak down tester
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:47:38 -0800
> The parts list came from these sites recently posted
> http://www.briggs-racing.com/tech/leakd.htm or
> http://members.tripod.com/~Wrenchbender/leakdown.html

Hey, Cool !  Thanks, Rob.  I've been wanting to build one for some time, but
didn't know how big to make the orifice.  I've got all the other parts lying
around my garage, including a spark plug hose and adapter from my
compression gage.

> What is a close nipple?  Is it a restricted piece of pipe between the
> gauge and regulator?  I of course have the bits to build this second
> type but am not sure if I need this restricted bit of pipe......

Some sort of restriction is essential, it should be logically between the
regulator and the gage.  But the term "close nipple" just means the shortest
possible pipe nipple (typically 1/2" for 1/8" pipe), I don't know what he's
using for a restriction.  Perhaps the regulator itself is restrictive enough
for what he's doing ?

BTW, he's not kidding about locking the engine.  On my TR3, if I don't hit
TDC just right the engine will turn, even against 4th gear and the handbrake
applied as tight as I can get it.

Randall