TR2 wheel questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR2 wheel questions
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <trstevens@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 11:23:32 -0500
I jumped the gun a little bit and bought a TR2 wheel (4" wide, riveted) for
the purpose of mounting a high-pressure "donut" spare (sourced from a
minivan) for my TR6, in order to be able to have the spare tire cover flush
with the rest of the trunk.

What I didn't find out in advance:

Is the edge of the TR2 wheel the right shape to support a tubeless tire?  I
recall that older (T-series) MG wheels needed a tube even with tubeless tires.

Assuming it's the right shape, do the rivets need to be sealed with
anything to support the high pressure of a donut spare?  Anybody been
there, done this?

Ted Stevens
Gaithersburg, MD
'74 TR6