Re: TR4 Gearbox Oil Change

To: jerryvv@alltel.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Gearbox Oil Change
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 15:16:04 EST
Jerry
there is an old box of dusty 'army green' steel pump devices in the auto isle
at my local hardware store and I figured they were for oil changes - they
look like 60's or 70's stock, but they don't have a hose (just a threaded
hole on end) and are a little larger than your typical tube of caulking with
a T handle. Since you described using a syringe type thing as 'an easy way to
do the job' - I might just buy one. Previously I bought those little boxes of
90wt oil with a plastic pump attached that turn into a greased pig under the
car. My question is - do these army jeep green pumps described above sound
like what you use? - and do you wash your pump/syringe out after every use?
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

>Subject: Re: TR4 Gearbox Oil Change
Never tried that George but it might work if you had a long enough hose. The
question I would have is how do you know when you have filled it with enough
fluid?
I use an Industrial size syringe that I bought from Sears in the 70's just for
this purpose. I suck the oil out of the bottle and then inject it into the
trans from underneath the car. Works great. I suppose you could find one of
these tools at a good auto parts store like a NAPA store. Can't say that I've
seen one for a long time however.
Jerry Van Vlack<<