Re: starter replacement and wheels

To: jbregman@mac.com (Jesse Bregman), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: starter replacement and wheels
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:29:32 -0500
In a message dated 3/10/2003 2:17:16 AM Eastern Standard Time, jbregman@mac.com
writes:

> 1. I have been advised to replace my rather weak original starter with
> a modern high torque starter by a couple of folks who have already done
> this. I know these are sold by the big 3, but I understand they are
> just a Toyota (?) part.  So, does anyone know what the part # is and
> whether I can just buy one at my local parts store?

In my opinion, a relatively sound, well-tuned (and basically stock) TR engine
doesn't require anything more than a relatively sound original Lucas starter.
There's a good argument for using the gear-reduction starter on an engine
modified to the point where it's not putting out, say, 50% more than original.

Think about it: a well-tuned, sound, stock TR engine usually can be easily
started...with the crank handle. ;-)

I'd first find out why your starter is "weak"; perhaps it just needs an
overhaul. If you find you need to get yourself a new starter, I suppose it's a
personal choice as to whether a gear reduction starter is worth the premium
over a new or rebuilt original-style Lucas motor. (Might not even be much of a
premium; I've not had to replace a starter recently.)

--Andy Mace