RE: Rear brake springs - in or out?

To: <darrellw@inetarena.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear brake springs - in or out?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 18:19:17 -0800
> FWIW, I always assemble shoes and springs as a unit in my hand
> and then work
> them over the axle flange and onto the backing plate. Carefully "work" the
> springs over and behind the flange, catch one end of one shoe on
> the adjustor
> and the other end on the wheel cylinder, then stretch (bash a
> knuckle or two,
> etc.) the other shoe into place.

Also FWIW, I do it much the same way, except I fit both shoes into the
cylinder first, then both ends into the adjuster.  Probably makes no
difference on your TR4A with it's single-acting cylinders, but with double
cylinders sometimes the second piston will want to pop out of it's bore
slightly, making it harder to slip the shoe over the end.

Randall