RE: Seals in general (Re: E-Bay)

Subject: RE: Seals in general (Re: E-Bay)
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 16:16:50 -0800
Cc: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
David Templeton wrote :

> Aside from the ebay thing. I always thought that some things like
> seals have
> a limited shelf life, especially NOS ones from 30+ years ago.
> Don't you run
> the risk of the "rubber" drying out and breaking down after an extremely
> short use?

Yes, absolutely!  It helps to have them enclosed in a sealed bag, but it's
always a risk with NOS parts.

There's also the problem that the components added to modern gasoline (in
the US) to reduce emissions will also attack original fuel system parts.
Reproduction 'rubber' parts are always made of nitrile rubber now, but
originally many were not.

Randall