Re: ROUGH running with LUCAS INJECTION

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ROUGH running with LUCAS INJECTION
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 12:10:31 +0100
Hi Glen
I have a PI saloon, and it stood for nine years before I got it, fuel tank
is continually raining crap in to the fuel, so about every month I have to
clean the gauze in the glass filter I added to catch the crud lumps and
about once a quarter I change the high pressure filter as it slowly clogs
with the fine stuff.
The process I use is to turn off the fuel (added a tap in the outlet line)
with the pump still running, break the joint with the filter and allow the
pump to pull the remaining fuel from the filter, then cut the pump, this
ensures that I don't get a boot full of fuel. I have done this dozens of
times, and never had a problem with air. Start up is just let the pump run a
few seconds before cranking, the thing will start straight away, may run
rough a few minutes until it is bled out, the system is essentially self
bleeding, I have never needed to point injectors to the sky to clear them.
The injectors only open under pressure so none are left open whilst it is
sitting. Another thing I should point out is that 90+% of all injection
problems are other than the injection system. I know you have checked the
ignition system, but the other thing you have is lost vacuum. Have you
checked the compression and valve clearances, a blown head gasket will
definitely loose you vacuum, how about a totally unrelated synchronised head
gasket failure?
BTW my car did start and run after nine years without juice in her, though
the injector pattern was a bit random and the car had a head gasket problem.
Recessed top gasket on a flat top block with rtv gasket to try to keep the
water from the oil!

Graham.
Hope this helps for now, if you have more feedback on the prob, shout, I
completely rebuilt and recalibrated my unit the hard way! ;-)