Transmission differences

To: "'PeterSchop@aol.com'" <PeterSchop@aol.com>
Subject: Transmission differences
From: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 10:30:15 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
From:   PeterSchop@aol.com <mailto:PeterSchop@aol.com>

What is the difference in a non overdrive transmission for the TR4 and TR6?
Can I put a six trans in my four without any modifications?

TIA,
Peter

Hi Peter,

You can do this . .but you need to change the . . .I think it is called the
front cover.
It is the part that the throw out bearing assembly slides on.
One is shorter than the other . . .

I think it is because of the different styles of clutches . . . Diaphragm in
the 6's vs  coil spring pack in the early TR's.

In any event . . . that stuff needs to be changed . . . and of course you
need to use the correct throwout bearing.

If you have more questions,  just ask and I can look into the details a more
closely.

I've done this several times swapping back and forth between my TR6 and TR4.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR-4 everyday
Leesburg, VA