RE: Ign advance and cam phasing for TR4

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Ign advance and cam phasing for TR4
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:26:12 -0700 FILETIME=[59A75C20:01C33CEA]
>  In the case of
> California one of the test involves idle emissions testing and
> the idle must
> be within a set max and min rpm.  This can be hard to get, you set them at
> home, and all is good, then the smog shop runs the engine under different
> conditions and the idle may, or may not, fall within the low speed idle
> specs.

That's true enough, but it at least should've gotten easier now that the
smog inspection shops must run them under load long enough to warm the
engine thoroughly.  Before, many shops would just pull them in, hook them
up, and proceed to run the test.

Newer Triumphs should have compensators (that 'coffin' on the side of most
of the Strombergs, for example), and the rpm range was fairly wide back when
the state was testing the earlier cars.

But I will admit to choosing my Triumphs at least partially on the basis of
not requiring smog inspection <g>

Randall
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (sidelined for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver