RE: OD Operating Valve Shaft Oil Leak

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: OD Operating Valve Shaft Oil Leak
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:30:29 -0700 FILETIME=[B6D5AB20:01C33CFB]
> The OD on my TR3A leaks oil at the Operating Valve Shaft at the
> end opposite the solenoid.  The service books and catalogs do not
> show any seal or o-ring.  My question is, how is the oil supposed
> to be sealed in and how do you repair it when it does leak ?

I don't have a parts manual handy, but I'm fairly certain there is supposed
to be an O-ring on that side.  If you look at the Moss catalog for item
866-030 "O-ring, operating shaft", it shows 2 required.

To replace it, you'll have to drive out the pin that locates the "adjusting"
lever on the shaft.  Check that the new ring protrudes slightly from the
groove in the case, as sometimes the groove is too deep.  If so, you'll need
to find some sort of packing to fill it up a little, I think McMaster Carr
sells Teflon "packing rings" for this purpose or Herman van den Akker will
turn one up in brass.  It's probably best to have already removed the valve
plunger, as otherwise the operating shaft is apt to slip sideways and let
the plunger fall off of it.

When you reinstall the operating lever (after repinning the adjusting
lever), push it and the adjusting lever closer together while you tighten
the clamp, to put some pressure on the O-rings.  This is mentioned in the OD
service manual, which I believe is still available from TRF.  However, don't
use the book method for adjusting the valve, instead see Nelson Riedel's
write-up on how to measure the ball lift directly and set it there.
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/AOD/AOD4/AOD4.htm
(scroll down past the photo of his girlfriend <g>)

Randall