Re: TR5 on Ebay

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR5 on Ebay
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 02:02:01 +0100
If it's a genuine 5 (and there seems to be some doubt on that) I'd speculate
how it got to California in the first place - especially if it was ever
licenced for use in that State. While I'm unaware of current emissions regs
for Ca vis a vis age of car, if its fitted with all the genuine Lucas kit and
is exactly as per factory spec - viz head, dizzy, cam etc I think it would
fail the smog test continuously.
ISTR the few cars sent to Ca from the factory for local evaluation were all
thrown out as being too toxic. Perhaps things have changed but I'd be
surprised if the datum track settings on the metering unit can be cranked back
far enough for the car to (a) run satisfactorily and (b) pass smog. They
didn't when new so why should they now? Maybe this is one of the cars that
started life as a TR5, failed Ca smog and was converted to TR250 spec?
If it is a 'genuine' 5, I'd like it myself - cackhanded or not. What's the
bidding - can't be bothered to look. Only TR model apart from the
sidescreeners that's worth having.
Nomex on!

Jonmac