Cellulose paint

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cellulose paint
From: "Linkens, Andy" <alinkens@nuera.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:39:43 +0100
I've just applied a coat of cellulose lacquer on the bonnet of my car -
anyone know how long I have to wait before cutting it back and also should I
use very fine sandpaper or just something like T-cut? I sprayed on a hot day
and it appears that some of the last coat has dried before hitting the
surface - so it looks like there's a very fine layer of dust on the surface
in some places.

Also, it was next to impossible to get hold of cellulose paint - speaking to
the supplier he said that it would be phased out by 2004 and that there were
going to be a couple of options.
1) Go with 2-pack and get a proper respirator.
2) Go with new water based spray paints - but will need to change some
equipment - talked of needing a bigger bore airline, an HVLP spraygun, and
more expensive water based paints - oh and the highly expensive thinners -
distilled water!

My thoughts are that option 1) is too risky due to the dangers of the paint
and that option 2) seems quite attractive for the occasional sprayer. Water
based paints are generally very convenient to use and I favour the idea of
an HVLP gun so that there is not so much wasteage of paint.

Question is :-
Have I been given the correct information? Has anyone had the chance to try
any of these water based paints out? What sort of costs could one expect in
order to change to this new setup?

cheers
Andy