RE: tr4 electrical - strange happenings

To: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tr4 electrical - strange happenings
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:27:21 -0700
> I was driving home tonight and after running for about 40 minutes
> something
> very strange happened when I applied the brakes. The ammeter
> pegged at fully
> discharging (I could convince myself that I heard it ping),  the
> car died. So
> I pulled over did a cursory check of things nothing looked
> abnormal. Started
> the car and off I went. I did however notice from that point
> forward any time
> I applied the brakes the radio turns off, turned back when accelerating.
>
> So since I cannot explain what happened any ideas out there?

Sounds to me like you have a short in the brake lights, and a fuse that
doesn't work.  Since I'm pretty sure a TR4 should have a fuse for the brake
lights (same fuse that protects the wiring to the heater, wipers, radio,
turn signals, gauges, etc.), I'd guess someone has put an American-rated 35
amp fuse in there.  There is a difference ...

Randall