Re: Spitfire front trunnions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire front trunnions
From: "Paul Willoughby's Home" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 06:12:00 -0700
I had the front vertical link break on my TR4 at the top of the threads to
the trunnion.  I happened to be motoring at excessive speed on the freeway
when my car hit a big dip in the road.  I attribute the failure to worn coil
springs, old shocks and lack of trunnion lubrication.

I remember trying to lube the trunnions with a grease gun a few weeks
before.  The old grease inside the trunnions had hardened to a point where I
could not force any new grease into it.  Little did I suspect at that time
what a catastrophic failure would occur from 37 years of front suspension
neglect.

I was very lucky that the upper a-arms stayed connected to the car, giving
me a little control of the vehicle and keeping the wheel attached to the
car.  The front tire just sort of dropped back and up into the wheel well.
Messed up the paint on the outside of the fender, and gave me quite a shock
when I looked at the damage (I thought I only had a flat tire when it first
happened!).  At least the car didn't roll.

Also, I had a heck of a time getting the lower a-arm removed from the
trunnion during repair.  It's possible that someone installed new a-arm
bushings or a new trunnion without reaming the bushings.  Maybe just forcing
the a-arm on the trunnion.

Moral of the story.  Maintain your front suspension as if your life depends
on it, cause someday it might!

Paul W.
Torrance, CA
1964 TR4