spitfire disc removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: spitfire disc removal
From: PeterSchop@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:00:04 EDT
Hello all,

 I am still working on the brakes of my new old Spitfire. I have ordered new
rotors and they should arrive Tuesday. In the meantime, I am trying to remove
the old rotors from the hubs. They are not like my TR4. I removed the four
bolts on the back of the disc and tried separating the rotor from the hub. A
few
good blows with a 32oz hammer and I only bent the lip of the hub. How should I
separate these? It looks to me that the rear bearings are attached to the
rotor itself and not the hub.

Also while on the subject, when I took the rotor off the front axle, I found
that the felt was still on the axle. When I put the new oil seals on to hold
the bearings in, should I reuse the old felt rings? If so, is there any way to
clean them up?

TIA
Peter Schoppelry
79 Spitfire