RE: generator to alternator

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: generator to alternator
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:04:46 -0400
> Thank you for all the help.  However, (and perhaps I missed it),
> but one of my
> concerns is the belt issue.  How hard is it to change the pulley
> on the water
> pump and the engine?

Hmmm, maybe it didn't go through.  Several vendors sell kits with narrow
pulleys, I know BFE and Racetorations do.  However, they're fairly pricey.
It may be possible to use a TR250 water pump pulley and a MGB crank pulley,
but you'll need a special seal and some spacers to make the MGB pulley work.
Check the TriumphTune catalog from Moss UK, they may still have the special
seal.

>  Or, can you put the wider pulley on the alternator?

That's what I did, by having a machine shop bore out the original pulley to
fit the larger alternator shaft.  There are also commercially available
pulleys that will work better (smaller diameter, which allows you to use the
original belt and also turns the alternator faster for better charging at
idle), but I don't know of a source offhand.

Randall