Re: Proper Overdrive engagement

To: "Paul Brandsema" <pbrandsema@triad.rr.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Proper Overdrive engagement
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:46:19 +0100 h7L8ptYR025479
From: Paul Brandsema <pbrandsema@triad.rr.com>

> I'd like to know whether there is a preferred method for engagement of OD in a
> TR4, or any other car with similar OD setup.  I've always just flipped the
> control lever on the column to engage.  Sometimes it results in something of a
> jolt.

I usually engage overdrive under acceleration (happens a lot with my driving
style!) and I get no jolt, this is with A and D type overdrives, I've not had
many J types. Engagement on the overrun or when cruising gets a jolt. When
coming out of overdrive I usually blip the throttle as I would when double
declutching on a downshift - this also eliminates any jolt.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics