ac

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: ac
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 19:27:01 EDT
Re: the R134 discussion...

Having had a couple of cars including an XJ6 converted I can offer the
following .02 worth... Yes, a good flush out and change of fittings is a start,
but
for longevity sake changing hoses  is recommended as they are permeable enough
that R12 and oil residue wll stay in the system forever. (Also, hose leaks
are the 90th+ percentile cause of AC failure anyway!) A new evaporator is
useful
as well, R134 models tend towards larger than original to try to overcome the
lack of efficiancy. An upgrade in the size of the accumulator valve which
controls flow (I'm no expert but I think that's what the guy said it did...)
made
a very noticable difference. None of these parts were expensive, a couple
hundred bucks and a couple hours labor and he was done.

The aftermarket R12 subsitute is in one of my vehicles, it's not as good as
the original but my non-scientific feel is that it's still colder than it's be
if it was R134, based on the changes in the XJ6.

As for EVER running it at less than full capacity.. trips through
California's central valley in the summer make one wish for the famous guitar
volume
control which went past "10" to "11" .

"First the Jag, next the TR4!"  (I'm tempted...)
John