RE: Wire Wheel Hubs--Mine are all worn out; What else will fit?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wire Wheel Hubs--Mine are all worn out; What else will fit?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:19:12 -0700
> Will wire wheel hubs from a Healey or MG fit my TR4A? The splines
> on my rear
> hubs are all worn down, so I figure they ought to be replaced,
> and I've been
> looking on eBay for a pair, left and right side. Does anyone know
> what, if any,
> other hubs from different car makes (i.e. MG, Austin-Healey, Jaguar, AC,
> etc.) would fit, or should I only be looking hubs from a TR4A?

Sean, you can use the splined hub extensions from any of the 'big' Triumphs,
TR2-6, Stag, 2000, etc. but I don't know of any other cars that use the same
ones.  Healeys both big and small are definitely different, and AFAIK MG
never used the extensions but had special hubs for wire wheels (ala TR2).

The extensions are available new for only about $70/each, which IMO makes it
not worthwhile screwing around with eBay and possibly getting worn ones.

However, keep in mind that the wheels wear to match the hubs & vice versa.
If your hubs are worn out, so are your wheels, and they should probably be
changed as a set.

Your money, your car, just my $.002 worth
Randall