Re: tr3 rear axle 10 in drums

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tr3 rear axle 10 in drums
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 14:13:10 -0500
Jim -

The 10" rear axle from post-TS13xxx TR3s is essentially the same as
the later 9" rear axle.  If it has round 6-bolt axle tube flanges,
rather than square 4-bolt axle tube flanges, it's the same.  The
brake parts are almost all different of course - drums, shoes,
backing plates, etc. - but the diff internals, axles and the case are
the same.  So ... you could indeed keep it as a spare, though you'd
have to do some work to swap brake parts should you wind up needing
it.

If it's got the 4-bolt axle tube flanges, then you should donate/sell
it to someone who is restoring an early TR3 or TR2 show car.  While
many people drive on these axles, they are not as durable as the
later ones.

HTH,
Dan