RE: importing a vehicle from the uk to the united states

To: "'Huw Upshall'" <hupshall@triumphcars.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'Wedge list'" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, "'Spitfire'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: importing a vehicle from the uk to the united states
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 23:24:09 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: spitfires-owner@autox.team.net
[mailto:spitfires-owner@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Huw Upshall
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 10:26 PM
To: Triumphs@autox.team.net; Wedge list; Spitfire

I'm looking to talk to anybody that has personally imported a car from
great britain to the united states

I'm looking to ask specific questions about shippers, DOT, EPA and
customs.

Thanks.

I did, but it was back in 1973.  I was in the UK at the time and
arranged it all through a local shipper.  One thing I learned is that if
you ship to somewhere that is not that much in demand, even though it
may be further away, it is much cheaper.  I shipped my MGTD to the port
of Houstom for less than half what people were shipping their cars to
Bayone NJ.

Cheers,
Joe