It won't shut off! - electrical puzzler.

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: It won't shut off! - electrical puzzler.
From: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 11:54:53 -0400
Here's my story . .you tell me how badly my car is screwed up electrically:

1970 TR6 with MANY wiring harness "fixes"  up under the dash,  Crane
electronic ignition and an electric fuel pump.

The bulb holders for the indicator lights on the dash are in TERRIBLE shape.
It seems all the little plastic insulators on are crumbling away and often,
when I pull a bulb out, I get bits of insulator and a spring to come out
with it.    So I have of course made some patches of my own to add to my
troubles.

Yesterday I was putting things back together and checking bulbs and after
starting up the car . . . I shut it off . . pulled the key out . .and the
engine is still running.

NICE!   What the heck do I do?

I gave up and yanked the wire from the coil to the distributor off.   Lotsa
nice sparks arcing all over the place!

I went back in the dash and found that the ignition warning light innards
had crumbled and it was now shorted ...  the current was bypassing the bulb.

I took the bulb out . . insulated the central part where the bulb WOULD make
contact,  and tried the engine again.
It started and shut off normally.

So . . . for all you electrical wizzes out there . . . . is that normal?  If
you short the two wires going to the ignition warning light bulb . . .
should you still be able to turn off the engine?

For the correct answer I'll provide 4 posilock electrical connectors.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 everyday  (1970 TR6 hopefully this weekend)
Leesburg, VA