Re: putting a windscreen back ON a TR6

To: James A TenCate <tencate@mac.com>
Subject: Re: putting a windscreen back ON a TR6
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 00:27:05 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
James A TenCate wrote:

> I've asked this question on the 6Pack list and also checked through any
> archives I can find and can't seem to find an answer.  When I removed
> the windscreen on my TR6 (dash top replacement), there was some
> caulk-like goo holding the rubber seal (which goes between the frame and
> the body) to the windscreen frame.  It also appears there was some sort
> of sealant used between the rubber seal and the body. I'm pretty sure
> this windscreen has never been off so I'm guessing that stuff had been
> there for 30 years :-)

The original sealants probably held up for eight or ten years of regular use
and environmental exposure, but there are
sealants today which work well for extended periods of time. When I was
installing glass in a dealership, we always used
  butyl rubber caulking in all the crevices after the rubber was installed. As
the stuff sets up it develops a
non-porous skin, and stays flexible for quite a while.

As far as I know, it or something like it is still in use by the professionals.

My suggestion is to find a paint and body supply store near you and ask them
about sealants--not necessarily ask what's
the newest, but what works best in the long run.

As for application, I'd put the same sealant on both sides of the gasket. In
earlier times, factories often used
different stuff on the paint side (like dum-dum putty) because there was no
problem with it attacking fresh paint.
Today's sealants may do better without attacking a fresh finish.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.