Whistling Carbs

To: "Triumphs List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Whistling Carbs
From: John & Patricia Donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 20:04:23 -0700
OK. I know this sounds strange. I have HS6 carbs on my '4A and they
"whistle" at cruising speed. When you accelerate or let off no sound, but
just cruising or very slight accelerating the carbs whistle. I've really
don't think it's a manifold leak, although it's possible. Squirting carb
cleaner all around has no effect, as does capping off the vacuum advance.

Do SU carbs wear out? These guys have 175K miles on them, but were rebuilt
by Joe Curto last year. New shafts, floats, jets, the works. Can the
pistons wear out? How do you check?

I'd love to tell my wife I have to go to Webers because my 36 year carbs
are worn out, but need your support!

Thanks,
John