0/D Oil Question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 0/D Oil Question
From: Michael Godley <mgodley@tiac.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:00:56 -0400 (EDT)
My other question seemed simple, and has to do with transmission oils.  List
archives cite Redline MT90 as the transmission/differential oil of choice,
since it has a 4 rather than a 5 rating, and is less caustic to yellow metals.
But I have an overdrive.  It niggles at me that I read somewhere that running
a 4 oil of lower weight, say 30 or 40, was better.  I apologize if you've
dealt with this frequently...I couldn't find it.

Terry Smith
New Hampshire
1960 TR3A TS 58667

Terry,

John Esposito at Quantum recommends 30 wt non-detergent oil...40 wt is an
option in hot climates.   Apparently Multi grades or detergent oils will cause
foaming and loss of oil pressure with the overdrive.  90 Wt oils, used in
non-overdrive gearboxs will cause premature failure of the oil pump or pump
drive, or blow out the pressure seals.

Mike Godley
65 TR4A......